Sunday, March 29, 2009

Swim Meet Results**Triathlon

Here is a recap of this semester...for my own information/records...
#1 January 30
200 Medley relay-freestyle leg
50 yrd freestyle 50:52

#2 February 20
100 yrd freestyle 1:51
200 yrd Freestyle Relay

#3 February 27
50 yrd freestyle 46:36
100 yrd freestyle 1:49
200 yrd medley relay-freestyle leg

February 28 (First Tri)
Swim 400 yrds, bike 6 miles, run 2 miles (all events inside)- 45 minutes

What a great experience!! We started out with the swimming first-my freestyle didn't last long-I would rotate with backstroke to have alittle break but just keep moving...there was 5 in my heat and I completed my swimming portion 4th in my heat. Then I ran downstairs to the stationary bikes-I knew this was were I would have to make up my slow swimming time...so I did! My legs were sure burning but it was really actually fun-I ended up finishing 2nd in the bike portion (that means I caught up and passed 2 people!!!) Boy after that my legs where TIGHT!! It felt so weird trying to stretch out my quad and run down to the field house to start the 2 miles run (22 laps). It felt really good-it was all an adrenaline rush-My goal was to finish in 50 minutes- I really had no idea how I would do and I finished in 45 min! I was excited-I couldn't wait to do the next!!


March 13 #4

50 yrd freestyle 45.78
100 yrd freestyle 1:49.44
200 yrd freestyle relay
100 yrd breaststroke 3:16.26

So this meet Oliver (my coach) e-mailed me the roster since I wasn't able to make it to the pasta dinner-mind you I don't know how to do the breast stroke-I figured it was an error so I e-mailed him back letting him know. He wrote back saying he thought I needed to "spread my branches"...I thought it was totally sarcasm until...at the beginning of the meet he came up to me and asked if I was ready for 4 events, I was confused-he was serious! I continued to tell him I didn't know the stroke and so he said we better jump in the pool and learn!!! OMG!! so needless to say we spent the next 30 minutes ATTEMPTING to learn the backstroke. It wasn't going good but Oliver asked if I would do it! I said I would try my hardest and FINISH if he really wanted me to- so we did!! I thought I was going to die! 100 yrds is along long way especially when you can hardly do something. The thing I love about BYU-I is everyones support!! I am positive I wouldn't of had the same experience somewhere else. So needless to say I completed but very slowly ;)


March 20 #5

50 yrd freestyle 44.56
200 yrd freestyle relay

March 27 Prelims

50yd freestyle 42:04 (1st in my heat-8 second improvement!!)

100 yrd freestyle 1:40:10 (2nd in my heat-9 second improvement!)


March 28 Triathlon!! Swim 600 yrds in the pool, Bike 13.5 miles outside and run a 5K outside! Scotty went to the storage unit to get something for my mountain bike (the road bike we left at Christmas break at my moms ;( and he has been 'jonesing' to ride. He asked if he could just do the biking portion and I said he could if he was on a team...well we found a babysitter very last minute and off we went. It was really fun doing this together as a team!! I met a girl Catlyn right at the beginning of the run and we were slow and steady! We ended up passing alot of people just trucking along- I ended with a 22:10 5K!! I think that is the fastest I have ever ran a 5K even when I ran cross country in High school! Then scotty biked 13.5 miles on a very cold and windy day-but he did awesome for not being on a bike in 3+ months 59:59 then I swam 600 yrds 14:54!! I was excited my goal was 15 minutes ;)

We finished 23rd out of 36 teams/individuals! It was a great experience-thanks Scotty!!

Later that night...was Swimming Championships...my legs where sooo... tired-I think from the run!

March 28 Championships

Well obviously I didn't qualify but I was able to participate in some relays-

200 Medley relay

400 Freestyle relay

This semester was so much fun! I am so thankful for the support Scotty gives me! I realized I miss being on a team and having that challenge. Swimming is a great challenge for me, one of the hardest I have had in along time but what a good experience of accomplishment! I still may not be the fastest but I continued to work hard and improve. I met alot of wonderful people this last semester that have had an impact on me. Thanks Heidi for encouraging me to go out for Swim Team this had to be the best place to learn and have the experience of being on a swim team!! Go Titans-I will miss you-I already do!

8 comments:

Caralee and Jon said...

Wow! That is really great Starr! I'm so excited to get into shape again. Wish we were closer, you would definately motivate me!! Whats new? Did you find out anything about where you guys are going after UV?

acandiedapple said...

Way to be! That's fantastic. I'm training for my first duathlon (since I don't really have anywhere to swim and it's too cold here in Chicago to swim in the lake). I wish we were closer so we could train together. You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

Starr, you are an inspiration! Good job! Sometimes we need to just get out there and do something hard! Love ya!

mle said...

Nice job Starr! I wish you guys lived here, I love swimming and have fun with a few girls around here doing tri's in the summer. There is a great one at Hagg Lake, and an all girls tri at Blue Lake-I know I am doing one of them-you should come over for it. Doing them outside is way better( I hate flipturns). Nice job for kicking some but on your time!

Jana Banana said...

hey i got your message!! things are going great for us!! We LOVE it here!! do you have access to our blog?? If not email me at JanaCSIA@aol.com and I will give you access!!!

Brooke said...

Hey-
what is your address?

mle said...

Hey Starr-in reply to your question on my blog, yes I am doing the Hagg Lake Tri. I was thinking of doing Blue Lake instead, but wont be in town. So I will be there- you better come over for it. I thinks its July 11th
Do you have a good bike? That is so important-there are a lot of hills. And I have done it with and without a wetsuit, and I actually swam faster in the wetsuit-it helps you float. I hope you come over for it-its a blast!

Anonymous said...

This is SOO motivating me to work out, it's almost been 6 weeks since I had my baby and I can't wait to get going again. Good job on the triathlon