Monday, January 26, 2009

Mississippi Caviar

So here is my first recipe! I received this from my Uncle Don who cut it out of his local paper in Rupert! And-we LOVE it!! It's perfect as salsa for chips or side to chicken, beef or eggs.

1 (15oz) can black-eye peas, drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
2 lg tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 med onion, diced
1 med green bell pepper, diced
3 TB minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 (7oz) package dry Italian dressing mix (such as Good Seasons)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup vinegar
Combine first 11 ingredients (peas through seasoning) in a large bowl. Stir well.
Combine dressing mix, oil and vinegar. Pour over pea mixture. Stir well. Chill at least 2 hrs. Serve with tortilla chips. Makes about 8 cups.
ENJOY!
(1/2 cup=130 calories, 7g fat, 4g protein, 14g carbs, 3g fiber)

2 comments:

Nikki Nichols said...

Starr, this sounds so good I am totally going to make this. I am always looking for new recipes too. I am hopefully going over to Heidis tomorrow for a play group, that is if Becket wakes up before its over :) Hope to see you there!!!

Katie said...

I'm going to have to try it.