Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Dentist!!!

Talan had a tooth that the enamel didn't form completely (enamelhypoplasia-for you dental junkies :) on 'T'. We had it looked at during the summer and the Dentist said he would probably be ok to wait another 6 months till he was a little older and could have a better experience....well right before Thanksgiving he started picking at the tooth after eating something and said it hurt!!! oh-no!!! He is really good about brushing his teeth and letting me help everytime but I will have to admit we are not perfect...believe it or not there are some days his teeth does not get brushed!!! I am sure this is REALLY had for a Dental Hygienist to admit-but it is true :) Anyway I look back and behold the tooth has cavitated!!! Not a good sign!!! I get him to the pediatric DDS here in town as soon as they could get him in and they couldn't get x-rays since he kept gagging so talking with the Dentist it was looking like a pulpotomy and crown-I truely wanted to cry and I think the DDS could tell-so he reassured me it wasn't due to neglect! Which I know it's not and I know the caries process but this wasn't supposed to happen to me! Well we were scheduled to come back in the next afternoon to receive treatment and Talan did great! It was funny because I got to experience what alot of my patients parents experience. When I have little kids come to see me at the office I encourage the parents to stay in the waiting room-I have learned from experience that most kids behave better when the parents don't come back so...I wasn't going to come back but I kept walking by the hall to see how he was doing, I really wanted to be there :) Well I went back to see the PA's they took before treatment and they looked great! The Doctor said we were sure lucky-even though it was cavitated it was very shallow-he was able to fill the tooth even without having to use the "sleepy juice." So to make a long story short...Mr. T did great!! And Dr. Mauseth was amazing with him!

Talan did great with the Nitrous Oxide!

My big boy!

His favorite part was the slide in the waiting room!!!

1 comment:

Diane said...

OH my gosh! What a brave son you have! He is officially a big boy :) I am really anal about my son brushing, but he hates it. I wish we lived closer to you so we could come to you! Your kids could not be any cuter!